These pages will provide documentation on how the website is constructed, section by section, so it can be maintained and to facilitate future updates.
The domain registrar is Network Solutions. Login credentials can be obtained from the IGG president.
The domain has custom DNS records for G Suite and SendGrid – make sure these stay in place.
Web hosting is provided by Pantheon. Login credentials can be obtained from the IGG president.
Pantheon does not support email. SendGrid is used to send emails from the website.
IGG’s proprietary databases are hosted on Amazon Web Services. Login credentials can be obtained from the IGG president.
- Core: The core of the website is built in WordPress. At the time the site was re-launched, it ran version 5.4.2.
- PHP: Right now the site runs version 5.6.40. This is for the database searches – please DO NOT UPGRADE – it will break the searches.
- Genesis Plugins:
- Functions.php: Includes functions for the Outreach Pro theme, as well as custom functions for things like breadcrumbs, the My Account page, custom shortcodes, etc.
- CSS Styles: All custom CSS styles can be found in style.css, located in the theme’s root directory.
- Templates: We are using several custom page templates for specific pages. Templates are set on the page edit screen.
- Front Page
- Search All Databases
- Search Church Databases
- Search IGG Newsletters
- Search POINTers Newsletters
- Wall of Remembrance Stories
A complete list of plugins can be found in the Plugins section of the WordPress admin tools. Some are paid plugins, including:
- Content Views Pro: $39 One-Time Fee
- MemberPress: $149 Annual Fee
- SearchWP: $99 One-Time Fee
- Vimeography (Timber Theme Add-On): $29 One-Time Fee
The header regions are created with Widgets:
- Logo: Managed in Appearance > Customize > Header Image. This also uses the SVG Support plugin to allow the SVG vector logo graphic to display.
- Tagline: Managed in a text widget in Header Right
- Join / My Account: Custom PHP widget in Header Right
This region contains the Call to Action that promotes joining the IGG. It’s made up of two widgets and the entire region is styled in style.css. This region is hidden by CSS when users are logged in, so we are not asking paid members to join again.
- Sub Footer Left: Text widget with descriptive copy and CTA button
- Sub Footer Right: Image widget with link to Join page
The footer regions are created with Widgets:
- Footer 1: Text widget displaying the IGG mission statement
- Footer 2: Text widget with contact information and Simple Social Icons widget with Facebook and Contact icons
- Footer 3: Navigation Menu widget displaying the Footer Quick Links menu
- Footer 4: Text widget with donation info and Custom HTML widget displaying donation request button
- Home Page: The home page layout is managed with a custom template and consists of several sections:
- Slider Revolution: This plugin is used for the slider at the top of the page.
- Body: Edit the page just like any other post
- Home Top: This region contains the four Genesis Featured Page Advanced widgets near the bottom of the page: Getting Started, Meetings & Events, Scholarships, Join the IGG.
- Custom Post Types: We are using custom post types for Wall of Remembrance Stories and Support Docs. These are managed with the Custom Post Type UI plugin.
- Custom Fields: Stories use a custom field group called Submission Information. This is managed by the Advanced Custom Fields plugin.
- Content Views: We use the Content Views Pro plugin to display dynamic content on several pages, including:
- Members Only: Displays all pages under the parent page Members. Right now there are several custom exclusions, which can be managed on the view edit page.
- IGG Newsletters: Displays all PDF documents in the media folder with the “IGG Newsletter” category applied to them.
- POINTers Newsletters: Displays all PDF documents in the media folder with the “POINTers Newsletter” category applied to them.
- Presentation Handouts: Displays all PDF documents in the media folder with the “IGG Newsletter” category applied to them.
- Wall of Remembrance: Displays all posts in the custom Stories post type.
- Tabbed Content: Some pages, such as Getting Started, use a tabbed layout. This is managed by the Tabby Responsive Tabs plugin. This uses shortcodes in the body field to open and close tabbed regions on the page.
- Popups: The Regions of Italy & Abbreviations page uses the Popup Anything on Click plugin to manage popup modal windows for the historical maps of Italy.
- Photo Gallery: The About page uses the Envira Gallery Lite plugin to manage the photo gallery at the bottom.
The database searches are developed in PHP. The data itself is stored in a single database hosted on Amazon Web Services. More documentation will be provided once the database searches and data sync have been redeveloped.
The IGG and POINTers newsletter archives are designed to be dynamic and searchable. More information on managing these archives is available in the Content Administrator section. The custom search engines for each archive are managed with SearchWP plugin, found at Settings > SearchWP.