[Updated on April 18th, 1998]
Photos Available of Your Relative's Home, Church, Business or School in New York City
For those of you who grew up in New York City or whose parents or grandparents lived in New York City during the 1930's, there is now an opportunity to get a picture of their home. For some of us who lost contact with relatives or who have lost or not been able to get pictures of where their family lived, this may be the only opportunity to get such a photo.
The Municipal Archives has completed a project involving the negatives of photographs taken from 1939-1941 through the New York City Dept. of Taxes as part of their real property appraisal system. There is one photograph for each building in the five Boroughs of New York City.
You can order a photograph of a house or building giving either the block and lot number of the property or a street address with a brief description (e.g. 4-story brick building). Send a check for $27.00 ($25.00 plus $2.00 postage) for an 8x10 print made payable to the NYC Department of Records. An 11x14 print can also be ordered by mail for $37.00 ($35.00 plus $2.00 postage). Additionally you can also go to the Archives to view the photographs on microfilm. (This way you can check on the quality of the photo as not all of them are clear.) They are open Monday to Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday 9:00a.m. to 1:00p.m.
As a help to you, we've included a link to the actual form which is on the NYC Municipal Archive Site. Simply click here to go to that form and then use you "BACK" button to come back to this article.
Our members enjoy receiving a monthly newsletter that is chock full of different articles relating to genealogy. Some articles re-cap what our various guest speakers have lectured about. Other articles discuss computing in genealogy, including the internet. Still other columns touch on genealogical tools and research aids.
We invite you to browse through the following articles from our newsletter. We're sure that there is something we've written about that will interest anyone researching their Italian roots...
Enjoy these articles:
- Italian Genealogy Info by Trafford Cole
- Using GEDCOM to transfer genealogical data
- Italian Citizenship for You!
- Photos of ANY NYC house/building circa 1939
- New York State Vital Records -- How and Where to Get Them
- NYC Area Cemeteries - Names, Addresses, Phone Numbers
- Aspects of Passenger Lists of Ships for Genealogists
- Research Material Available at Your Local Family History Center
- Rivelli Records - Special Tax Census Records
- WW I Draft Board List for NYC - Italians & Other Aliens Had to Register
- Federal Census Records - What Can They Tell You?
- City Directories - Like Mamma's Chicken, Use all of it!
- Resources on Italian Parishes and Italian Catholics (Diocese of Brooklyn)